Friday, October 7, 2011

My Long Hair Journey: The Viewpoint of the UK Hair Blogger MoHair

MoHair, a hair blogger, offers insight into her own hair journey. She co-writes in her blog My Long Hair Journey along with her friend Tola. Their blog's url is  
http://www.mylonghairjourney.co.uk/ 

Of her hair journey, MoHair says:
"I decided to start my hair journey because I have always wanted to have long hair and I wanted to know for myself if it was possible for me to grow my own hair long or if I was doomed to using extensions for the rest of my life.


Advantages of my journey are -  enjoying the process; learning about my hair and learning about myself. Disadvantages are - waiting for my hair to grow, I'm not patient and I make mistakes cause I'm still learning.

The Internet (is the best resource for starting a healthy hair journey)! Articles & stories (true and false), medical journals, You tube - other people

I'm British by nationality and west African by ethnic origin. I think I understand better the social pressures on African American women to conform to a certain look or standard of beauty. Especially when that standard or beauty is the opposite of how God made you - i.e - shorter kinky hair versus long straight hair. I don't face (in the same way) the same pressures nor do I have to cope with the prejudices that come from slavery.

I am am motivated to continue my hair journey for myself and also for every person that has looked at my natural hair in disbelief. I want to prove all the doubters and haters wrong.  Black hair is beautiful no matter how it is styled and it does grow.

It changes periodically based on the weather and my styling needs but the basics don't change. 

I would recommend using all the resources available on the internet and in books and articles. Talking to people is also invaluable and you can learn lesson from other people's experiences. Ultimately, once you acquire knowledge and understanding, you must also apply wisdom. You have to try things out for yourself - don't trust everything you read or everything you hear. Experiment and see what works for you." 


No comments:

Post a Comment