Friday, September 9, 2011

Dania Denise on Modeling



Dania Denise  
Model,  TV/Film/Commercial Act
Voice-Over Actor & Model Consultant Extraordinaire 

Dania Denise, a model for over a decade, is one of the best sources for breaking into the modeling world. Her blog "Modeling 101: A Model's Diary" effectively portrays the ins and outs in becoming a model. Her tips and posts are insightful and detailed. Anyone can email her a question for one-on-one help. She offers mentoring, coaching, and consultation services for any aspiring model. In this interview, Dania explains the highs and lows of the modeling world, plus how she became a model and the tips she has for anyone pursuing the industry.


Why and when did you decide to model?  


Honestly, I never grew up wanting to be a model...it was the last thing on my mind. When I was 15 I got a flyer in the mail for an open call for new models and actors in San Francisco. It just seemed like something fun to try so I asked my parents to take me. They did, I submitted a snapshot, got called back and got signed to my first agency a few weeks later. It ended up being something I grew to love and was good at so I figured, why not keep it going? I'm glad I did!

How did you go about becoming a model?
Getting an agent was the most important step, especially since I was underage and had no knowledge of the industry before then. Through the open call I attended in SF, I was introduced to agencies in the area and chose the one that I felt most comfortable with at the time. That agent helped set up my first portfolio shoot and that's where I got my first headshots and other images. The approach to how I got in was a bit different than now because back then modeling wasn't as mainstream as it is today...agencies didn't have fancy websites, electronic forms where you could upload your pictures, etc. 
What are the advantages and disadvantages of modeling? 
Advantages: 
- Creating amazing images/pictures that I will be able to look back on years from now.
- Meeting/working with the most creatively talented designers, photographers, makeup artists, hair and wardrobe stylists. 
- Meeting and making friends with other models who know exactly what I go through on the job.
- Making money (of course, lol).
- Getting free clothes, products and discounts.
- Having the chance to travel not only within the San Francisco Bay Area but Los Angeles and other places as needed for work.
- Getting my hair and makeup done professionally (so much fun!).

Disadvantages:

- Constant rejection.
- Coming so close to being chosen for a project but getting passed over for someone else.
- Intense competition.
- Not being able to submit to a modeling gig because I meet all of the requirements EXCEPT the height.
- The work isn't always constant...there are dry spells where I won't book anything for weeks.

Why did you decide to create a blog on modeling? 
I created my modeling blog because not only was I so tired of seeing the wrong information being put out there to aspiring models about how to get started and what it takes, I wanted to correct the critics who kept saying that if you're short, you simply can't make it in the industry. I wanted to use my years of knowledge and experiences to inspire others to keep reaching for their goals the right way (without getting scammed) and show myself as an example of someone who may not be supermodel status but has established a professional modeling career.
What is your background and your experiences? 
I've been a model and actor for 13+ years. I went to San Francisco State University, where I graduated with a B.A. in Radio/TV with an emphasis in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in Journalism. In addition to my entertainment career, I am self employed and run 4 home-based businesses: writing/editing services, art business (DDM Creations), modeling/acting coaching/consulting/mentoring and I'm also a licensed dealer for telecommunication services. I love to keep busy and when I'm not in front of the camera or on stage, I'm writing articles, illustrating children's books or painting murals, among many other projects! As far as modeling experiences go, it's mainly just print work for magazines, I got my first magazine cover back in 2009, I did a calendar back in 2007, fashion shows, stuff like that. (She has done  print modeling and has been in pageants. She has also been on television and had roles in films, such as a supporting role in "A Night to Remember". She also has done
 commercials, music videos, fashion shows, and was in theater among other things. She provided voice-overs for companies such as Wal-Mart and Virgin Mobile. She also had special appearances on several different radio stations.)

What are your future goals in modeling? 


I would love to be on a billboard or in a store display poster...something big that I can point to and say, "That's me!" While I'm popular online, I would love to be a household name and appear in all forms of media for modeling. Eventually, I'd like to be able to travel to other markets to model, especially New York and Miami. Being the face of a well known brand would also be amazing.

Do you have any tips for aspiring models? 

Do your homework and research, research, research the modeling industry! Never get into anything without knowing fully what to expect. Getting agency representation should be your priority. Being signed to a legit agency dramatically reduces your chances of getting scammed or taken advantage of. Also know that it is a business--I can't stress enough that you have to have thick skin to deal with criticism, competition and constant rejection. The industry isn't about making model's dreams come true, it's about selling products, clothes and making money. If you know that going in and see it from a business standpoint, it'll be less of a shock. You have to accept both the good and the bad that comes with wanting to become a model. And if it doesn't work out for you, IT'S OKAY! There is nothing wrong with seeing how far you can go and even if you don't make it, at least you can walk away saying that you gave it your best instead of thinking "what if." 

Dania Denise has a website, Facebook, and blog with contact information for anyone to e-mail her, especially if they wish to break into the modeling industry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment