Friday, September 23, 2011

Tommie & Tiffany's Healthy Hair Journeys


Those interested in growing long, healthy hair may have heard of the blogs Hair De La Crème and Diva Locks. The bloggers, Tommie and Tiffany respectively, are both African American women who challenge the belief that African American women cannot grow long, healthy hair. They have joined a healthy hair journey many other African Americans have partaken. In their interviews they explain how starting their journeys changed themselves, how they view African American women, and how they view their own hair.
         Tiffany started the blog Diva Locks, in which she showcases her various hairstyles for her daughter, who she refers to as “the diva”, as well as their regimes and their hair journeys.
Why did you decide to start your hair journey?
I decided to start my journey because I wanted to see how long I could grow my natural hair. I have always gotten bored easily with my hair, so I would often cut or dye it every few months.
 What are the advantages and disadvantages of your journey?
The advantage is I have healthier, shiner hair that is retaining length. The disadvantage of my journey is probably cost, and I find myself buying more expensive products than I did in the past.
 How did you first go about gathering information about how to take care of your hair?
I first started searching for children's hairstyles for my daughter and that opened a whole new world with tons of websites and blogs dedicated to natural hair.

Have starting your hair journey change previous views you had on African American woman and long hair?
I would say that is has. I now know and realize that African American woman can have long healthy waist and hip length hair without the use of weaves, extensions, or wigs.

If you have any, what are your inspirations and motivations to continue your hair journey?

My inspirations for continuing my hair journey are all the wonderful natural women out there as well as my daughter. I want to show her that our hair in its natural state is beautiful no matter what others think or say.
What is your regime?
My regime:
Daily:
·         I moisturize my hair with my homemade Leave-In Conditioner Mix (distilled water, VO5 conditioner, EVOO) and I seal with Darcy's Botanical Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Natural Hair Conditioning Oil or African Royale Hot Six Oil during the summer months and during the winter months I seal with a heavy butter
·         I sleep with a satin bonnet
Weekly:
·         I wash my hair once a week with Proclaim Olive Glossing Shampoo & Conditioner 
·         I finger detangle, then detangle with a wide tooth comb while the conditioner is still in then smooth with my Conair Brush
·         Apply Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner after wash & conditioning
·         I co-wash twice a week using VO5 Moisture Milks and EVOO mixed in or Suave Almond Shea Butter
Monthly:
·         Hot Oil Treatment using African Royale Hot Six Oil
·         Clarify  my hair once a month using Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo
·         Deep Condition using Komaza Care Olive Moisture Mask with a plastic cap for one hour

My daughter’s regime:
Daily:
·         I moisturize the diva's hair with my homemade Leave-In Conditioner Mix (distilled water, VO5 conditioner, EVOO) or with Komaza Care Califia Moisturizing Spray and I seal with Darcy's Botanical Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Natural Hair Conditioning Oil or African Royale Hot Six Oil
·         She sleeps with a satin bonnet
Weekly:
·         I wash the diva's hair once a week using Proclaim Olive Glossing Shampoo & Conditioner
·         I finger detangle, then detangle her hair while the conditioner is in using a wide tooth comb, then smooth with my Conair Brush
·         Apply Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner after washing & conditioning
·         I band her hair after every wash in 4-6 sections
Monthly:
·         I clarify her hair once a month using Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo
·         Deep Condition using Komaza Care Olive Moisture Mask with a plastic cap for an hour
·         Hot Oil Treatment using African Royale Hot Six Oil
·         I dust her ends very 8 weeks
Styling Aids:

Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter
Le Tolanoil Hair Care Creme
Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel
ORS Lock & Twist Gel
Have your regime changed over the course of your journey and if so how come?
The only thing that changes is what products I use; I sometimes switch things up and try new products.

How can someone who is interested in having healthy, long hair go about gathering information on taking care of their hair? What are the best resources?  
I would say do your research, there are various books and websites that can help you on your journey, also if having long hair is not your goal you can still strive to have healthy hair :)
I would say the best resources for me are YouTube and Long Hair Care Forum.

Why did you start your blog? 
I started my blog as a way to document our hair journey and styles, and it sort of evolved to include my other interests such as fashion, beauty, and DIY crafts.

How did starting your hair journey affect how you viewed your daughter and her hair? How does she feel about the hair journey? 
Our hair journey has allowed us to bond more, we enjoy hair time, from picking out and discussing what styles she wants next in her hair to just catching up on our daily lives while I am styling her hair. She loves it! She gets so excited when she thinks of a new style or I surprise her with one I thought of. Don't forget to check out my blog for more information and tips & tricks www.divalocks10.com 


 Pictured Above: "The Diva"  
Pictured Below: Tiffany


The blogger behind the blog and YouTube channel called Hair De La Crème, Tommie, also gave insight into her hair journey and the reason behind it.
Why did you decide to start your hair journey?  

In December 2008. Growing up, I've always had short neck length hair. Everything I tried to do to make it grow didn't seem to work. My hair kept breaking. After I ended a 4 year relationship in 2007 I decided to try something different and go short. After I saw her cut I made my mind up and decided that since I couldn't grow my hair that I was going to keep it short. One day a co-worker of mine asked me about my cut and asked if I co-washed. I was so confused. I asked what co-washing was and she then put me on to Lonhaircareforum.com. Let me tell you...as soon as I go to my desk I looked up the site and that's where my journey began. I decided that I would follow the tips these girls are sharing, see how long my hair can grow and never looked back

What are the advantages and disadvantages of your journey?  

Advantage is seeing the fruits of your labor. I remember having a weave in my hair for a few months. I haven't seen my hair in a while. A few weeks later I relaxed my hair and when I looked in the mirror cried because (at that time) my hair got so long. It grew past neck length. I was so excited to see that my hair can and is growing. The disadvantage is that I spent sooo much money testing out products to see what works and what doesn't.

How did you first go about gathering information about how to take care of your hair? 

http://www.longhaircareforum.com. This site is beneficial (in my opinion) to anyone who has tried their best to grow their hair and needs support, help and tips from ladies that has once been in your seat. I've learned things from protein overload, stretching your relaxers, moisturizing and sealing, etc.

Have starting your hair journey change previous views you had on African American woman and long hair?  

Heck yea! People believe that the only way an African American woman can have long hair is 1.) It's a weave or 2.) She's mixed. NOT TRUE! It's all about how you take care of the hair on your head. Because I now understand the science of growing healthy hair, I get upset at AA (African American) women that say "My hair isn’t growing or can't grow" This is a crazy myth that has been embedded into our heads.

If you have any, what are your inspirations and motivations to continue your hair journey? 

 My inspiration is Ediese. She's a fellow member on Longhaircareforum.com. She started off like me, consistently wearing weaves to hide the damage underneath. The beginning of her journey looks like the beginning of mine. Ediese is now natural and her hair is full waist length. What has helped her throughout her journey was weaves. Just like me. Check out Ediese's hair journey here: http://public.fotki.com/Ediese/comparison-shots-1/comparison-shots/20071128181140comparison.html

What is your regime (if you are comfortable with sharing it)? Have your regime changed over the course of your journey and if so how come? 

 My new regimen is
·          Apply Amla Oil to hair for 1 hr with 2 wool hats
·          Rinse and Shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo
·          Rinse and Deep Condition (under heat) with ORS Replenishing Conditioner for 45 minutes
·          Rinse and apply a moisturizing conditioner like Aussie Moist Conditioner or VO5's Moisture Milks
·         Moisturize with Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizer, seal with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and oil my scalp with Jamaican Black Castor Oil
·         Take my Nioxin Intensive Therapy Recharging Complex Vitamins daily
·         Drink at least 4 glasses of water daily.
·         I rarely apply heat to my hair
·         Weave my hair for 2 months, take one for two weeks, keep my hair in a bun until i weave again
·         Apply a hardcore protein treatment to my hair every 8 weeks
·         Relax twice a year.
·         Trim after every relaxer process
My regimen used to be so intense. I put too much products in my hair and just went crazy following everyone's regimen. This method did not work for my hair. So i kept it simple. Continued to use the products that works with my hair and listened to my hair when it told me when some products I used was garbage. 

How can someone who is interested in having healthy, long hair go about gathering information on taking care of their hair? What are the best resources? 

 I would suggest checking out Longhaircareforum for health and growth, Blackhairmedia.com for weave tips and hair growth and YouTube for ideas.
 I have a YouTube page you guys can check out!

You can also check out Tommie’s blog at 



Check out Tommie's Progress! 
Click to make picture bigger.



2 comments:

  1. thanks for using me for your site. Much success in your hair journey and blog :-*

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwe thanks! and thank you for allowing the interview(:

    ReplyDelete